Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dances with Smurfs

After they played Avatar at work, I caught bits and pieces. Despite, the Anti-Avatar fervor of the libertarian and conservative sides of things I decided to see it, because damn it. I LOVE MECHS. After admitting to renting it in the GBC I got treated to some fairly nasty statements.

"I called my mother a fucking assclown to her face when I saw the disc in her house."

"You're not even good enough for the shun bench. Just go die in a fire."

Now, some might get their feelings hurt, but I know as a fact that they're just concerned about my well-being.

Anyway. It wasn't a horrible movie. It had some killer cinematography, great CGI, cool sci-fi tech, and interesting alien flora and fauna. Is it new? Nope. Not remotely. Its an archetypal guy goes native for love story. Nothing new here. I cannot even say its a particularly great take on this. I really don't see the development towards understanding. At least it wasn't convincing for me. Honestly, about to the 3/4s mark the movie seems rather well done. The end seems rushed. We're ready to make Jake Sully into the great hero. Lots of people die. Easily predicted. Some neat futuristic weapons though.

The biggest problem folks seem to have with this movie is that they feel that Cameron is attacking the US Military and Government. That and how a modern military force is taken down by flying dinosaurs. Folks really want to paint this to be a leftist fantasy world of sugar plums and pixie dust. I can only say its halfway.

Imperialism being bad is the primary lesson of the movie. The US has been blamed with plenty of it, but in reality we haven't done anywhere NEAR as much as many of the lefty nations of Eurotopia. I agree that he's painting the US as the face of Imperialism. I think that he could have mixed things up better. Russians, English, Germans, French, and the Chinese could have been better represented. Also, the bad guys are a corporation. I have no troubles with this. Corporations make good bad guys. I know this for a fact., I work for Wal-mart. If Wal-mart was running things on that world, they would have wiped out the indigenous peoples.

As for the dinosaurs? Throw enough LEMMINGS at an elephant, the elephant will loose. There is some logic to the idea that the 'planet' did something about the pesky humans. Pandora is made out to be a big network where everything is connected. How very Lucas. Being a large organism, the critter bum rush makes sense as an immune system response against a dangerous foreign object. Silly? But so is a lot of other sci-fi. This sort of stuff, I can't lay upon the movie and its creators.

I spent a dollar on this rental. I feel it was well enough spent. Besides, the movie industry HATES Redbox. If you seriously think I'm an assclown or that I should go die in a fire for watching Avatar... I didn't watch it for YOUR pleasure. You can go set your dick on fire. Fuck you, you nanny libtard wannabe. If you like any genre, you'll have to wade through ideas and concepts that you don't like. There are distasteful ones inside Avatar, but there are more elsewhere.

I forgive Cameron for his crazy libtard nature though. He gave me Aliens. My all time favorite movie. While I'm at it, I forgive Lucas, Spielberg, and John Carpenter too. All these guys gave us some good times.

No comments: