Friday, February 17, 2012

Fenix P2D Review Repost


This is a repost of my review on the Fenix P2D I made over on thehighroad.org.

I just got stable power and internet back here in lower western Kentucky. As most of you know we got hit by a nasty icy storm. Ice has destroyed countless trees, poles, and power lines. Its been cold and nasty. When the lights went out, I was at work, a Walmart. When a Walmart's power goes out, there's a lot of work to do. First, customers must be quickly ushered to the cashier lanes, as register backup power is limited. Next, the store must be closed and all customers out, or gathered in a safe place. The freezers must be kept closed and the cold walls and bunkers must be covered in cardboard and plastic to keep the temperature from rising. If things do not improve within a few hours, cold things must be quickly removed from the floor, and put in coolers. Sadly, generators are 'ordered' from Home Office, and as Kentucky was being crushed by ice, Home Office told us we were on our own.

Many months ago, I decided that I needed a good EDC flashlight. Something small that would keep out of the way but be bright and long lasting enough in case of disaster. After some research I ordered a Fenix P2D Premium Q5 Cree XR-E. A small LED flashlight powered by a 123 lithium battery. These batteries are expensive in retail stores, but inexpensive from online sources. I ordered a 20pack case of Rayovac batteries for it and my wife and my Surefire g2 LED lights.

The p2d q5 has multiple light modes. 12 lumen - 30hrs, 55 lumen - 5.5 hours, 107 lumen - 2.5 hours, SOS mode(blinks the SOS signal), and also has a one hour turbo mode of 180 lumens and a strobe at the same brightness.

The 12 lumen mode was plenty of light for basic movement through the store(Supercenter) with or without the security lights. For checking aisles, I used the 107 lumen mode the most. The throw could illuminate from at least 100 yards once the security lights were out. The basic 55 lumen mode was the most useful. Turned skyward or set down, it would act as a electric candle and provide enough illumination to move around reasonably well for at least at a 30 ft radius on the salesfloor. About 15ft radius for actual work. In the narrow back areas, the 12 lumen mode was ample for good illumination. The higher power modes were mostly unused except for checking for customers or illuminating important work. A single fresh 123 battery lasted all night, while I pocketed the already used battery for backup. It kept going afterwards at home too. Where it was used from just finding our stock of candles, flashlights, and batteries to reading, to going to the bathroom.

After all the heavy use, I think I got about 16 hours of use out of that one fresh battery. There are some issues with this light. The light is that it is a bit slippery and the lanyard doesn't come with any adjustably. I had already addressed the lanyard issue by adding a spring fastener from a tippman marker's barrel cover. This kept the light secured to my wrist while I generally carried the light in cigar fashion.

This is one incredible light, and one that came in very handy and has continued to serve me well in the absence of electricity. I've just found out that there is a new version, the P2D0 that looks to be even more grippy and should serve very well in cigar carry. I think my wife needs a good EDC light, and she might end up with one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Led Flashlight (also called torches) are highly valued and have been in use for one hundred plus years. Portable illumination products are useful in many situations. A quality option on the market, the Led flashlight.

Mayday said...

Yes! Fenix flashlights are popular because of its good perofrmance. Fenix are famous for their bike lights too. There are a lot of hot sellers in bike lights including fenix bc30 bike light, fenix bc21r led bike light.